Total Pageviews

September 14, 2010

My beloved teachers - Part - IV

The teacher who had a funny bone and who enthralled us with his satire was our teacher of Management theory and Organizational Behaviour. He would drawl in his traditional slow voice “You boys are like never-ready batteries and all the girls are like Eveready batteries”. He would crack jokes like “In USA there are one car and two car families, In India there are be-kar families (be-kar in Hindi means useless).

His favorite joke was “Every street corner in Hyderabad will have a bakery. It will have only two employees a be-kar and a loafer”. Loafer is a person who makes bread but loafer in Hyderabad means a person who does nothing and who loafs around.

The final ode in my MBA College would be for my HOD Prof E. G. Paremeshwaran. E.G as he was popularly called was a fountain head of knowledge and satire. One day we had bunked a boring class and were lounging in the corridor. We were happily sitting on the floor and chitchatting. E.G walks by and does a double take when he notices us. “Hey boys what are you doing here?” he says. “Nothing sir” responds a brave heart “ the lecture was too boring”. E.G sits next to us. He never forces us into the class. He explained the relationship between the student and the teacher.

He said “You have a role to play. Raise doubts and ask for clarifications, When a teacher does not know the answer his or her ego will get hurt. That will make him/her prepare better and that teacher is on the road to become a good teacher”. Today when I have became a Director – Academic I reflect on his words I understand the magnitude and the meaning. The student is only as good as his teacher and so is the case with the teacher, the teacher is as good as the performance of the students.

5 comments:

  1. i am reading ur blog first time sir good experience you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks keep your feedback coming. Also tell me which type of topics are liked by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of reading only one article when i checked the blog but i coudnt control my excitement and completed reading the 15 articles of september. they r wonderful sir .
    when i was going through the " my beloved teachers" i went down my memories.
    my mam taught the easy way of remembering the nine planets by saying a line--"MY VERY EDUCATED MOTHER JUST SHOWED US NINE PLANETS"
    a sentence" A QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY LITTLE DOG"- contains all the 26 alphabets in english
    i learnt technique to know GMT without calculations from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad that you have liked my blog. Pavani Life is about sharing things. I am very happy that you have shared things about your teacher. Tell me what topics are like by you. I will definitely write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The student is only as good as his teacher and so is the case with the teacher, the teacher is as good as the performance of the students."

    I am contemplating on this.....
    No doubt there is a mutual exchange between teacher and the taughts. But often, an enabler teacher makes his students go farther than he himself has gone....

    In anycase I stand by what you said.

    ReplyDelete